There is this theory that we, humans, only use 10% of our brain and if we harness the other 90%, we would then be a Sherlock Holmes or a Tony Stark. Of course there is enough scientific proof to contradict this theory. Also it sounds as ridiculous as one saying that we only use 10% of our body muscle & if we harness the other 90%, we would then be a Super Man or a Hulk.
However this 10% brain theory still continues to be an urban legend and is a quite popular one at that. That should not come as a big surprise as mermaids and Yeti still continue be popular legends despite lack of any scientific proof or any credible sighting over centuries. Don’t even get me started about LochNess monster or invading aliens!
A part of me understands why people believe in 10% of brain theory. I wondered many times if people even use 1% of their brain. There were situations where I had begun to believe that it is quite possible for people to be ‘brainless’. How many conversations do we have with folks around us that have no semblance of logic or thought? We are mostly driven by perceptions, notions, presumptions and emotions. No wonder we think we don’t need more than 10% of our brain!!
I definitely do not grudge people believing in this 10% brain theory. I would love to believe myself. Every time my dad would snub at me for being on computer all the time and yet not create anything significant, I could tell him that I might have been a Zuckerberg only if my body had used most of its grey matter and not just 10%!!!
There is no doubt that we use majority of our brain every single minute of our lives. We just do not realise it because most tasks that brain does happens in the background and they are programmed to work at the time of our birth and without our interference. We only recognise the sensible work that we have done with our interference. Are we doing enough sensible work everyday for us to realise that we use a vast majority of our brain?
There is vast amount of senseless hubris around us every day. Not all of it is wrong, if we always followed logic we will all be machines and robots. We are better than them because we know better than logic! Our human nature demands that we deviate from logic time to time to address our emotions and those of others around us. But are we deviating too much from logic, even in the situations where there is no such need? We probably are.
Our over reliance on smart machines, our growing tendency to live in a bubble and believe all is well, our growing preference to appease emotions over logic, our rising extremism over petty differences, our all over electronic surveillance, our ever increasing sheep herd mentality – I am not sure where we are heading towards. When I think of these and our future generations, I truly wonder if all they will ever use is 10% of brain!!!!
Pic Credit – http://cdn-media-1.lifehack.org/wp-content/files/2014/12/Human-Brain-Myths.jpg